Tuesday, July 31, 2007

These phrases, and those who use them, should be banned

"Word to the wise" Naturally, I will be compelled to make a habit of doing the opposite.
"At the end of the day..." This meaningless preface is used by politicians and others riding high horses in an attempt to erase all arguments that have come before. It doesn't work.
"Movers and shakers" I despise these people and those who acknowledge them.
"It's all good" Used by people self-righteously trying to throw a fire blanket over an argument, serves only to negate the existence of anything good in the world.
"Easy tiger" This is a soft "shut up" that makes me wish I was in fact a tiger and could claw you.
"I'm more than happy to" Swap more with less, and you have a true statement.
"By the by...." A prepositional mess that makes no sense and serves no purpose other than to delay the topic you intend to broach.
"Lots of moving parts" A flimsy excuse for why something is not getting done, and that something always tends to not have many "parts," nor do they really "move."
"Largely succeeds in..." Either it succeeds, or it doesn't. Please commit.
"Wait for it..." In the time you have made me wait, I have decided your punchline will be no more original than this filler.
"Hit the gym" You are much less likely to see the results of the gym on a person who does this than on a someone who goes to the gym.
"At this moment in time" As if the outlook would be different at any other time.
"I just wanted to give you a heads up" Because you now you know you are about to be f-cked, but somehow you should be less angry.
"Whatever..." Quite possibly the most dismissive reaction a person could have to words coming out of my mouth. A more efficient way of saying that you don't give a shit.
"did you get my...." If you have to ask, you know the answer. I did, and I don't care to respond.
"X is the new Y" Nothing is new anymore, and don't even get started counting the layers of irony to decide how meta this thing is.

No comments: